MATCHA GREEN TEA MACARON RECIPE
Spring has sprung, and we love it! Inspired by all the growing greenery around us, we tried our hand at the ultimate green treat, Matcha Green Tea Macarons! Light, fresh, and semi-sweet, we bring to you the perfect accompaniment to any occasion this spring! We’re loving these macarons so matcha!
Matcha Macaron Shells:
- 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar
- 1 1/8 cup of almond meal
- 1 cup of egg whites (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of matcha
- A pinch of cream of tatar
- Green gel food colouring
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter – softened
- 3 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of matcha
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add almond meal and ⅓ of your powdered sugar into a food processor. Pulse until a fine texture is achieved.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and matcha to the mixture and sift into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add egg whites into a mixer and mix on medium speed. Mix for 2 minutes or until foamy.
- Increase speed to medium-high and add granulated sugar. Mix for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is fully incorporated and a thick consistency is achieved.
- Add a pinch of cream of tatar along with a drop of gel food colouring. Mix on high until stiff, glossy peaks are formed.
- Combine your dry ingredients into your meringue, gently and ⅓ at a time. Fold carefully until your batter is smooth and with a consistency that allows it to run off your spatula in thick ribbons.
- Add your batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1 ½ inch round tip.
- Pipe 1½ inch rounds onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Once piped, gently tap the baking sheets on the counter to flatten.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Remove and allow to completely cool.
- For the filling, beat butter and lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar and green tea powder until mixed.
- Pipe the filling onto half the shells, place another shell on top of each and gently press together.
- Enjoy your matcha green tea macarons!